The Top Ten Theory of Knowledge Essay Tips
Here are my top tips for getting to top marks on your Theory of Knowledge essay.
1. All ToK essays are cross-disciplinary; they are never just about one way of knowing (perception, language, reason, etc) or one area of knowledge (mathematics, natural sciences, human sciences, history, etc). In general you’ll want to include at least
2. But be careful about which WoK's and AoK's you include. Review all of your notes to refresh your understanding and make sure you’re seeing the relevant connections and make sure (after you’ve done your research) that you have interesting points to make (claims and counter claims).
3. Make an outline first. The outline is your road map and it’s where you make a lot of your major decisions. It will also help you to develop an argument, with each paragraph building on the one before.
3. Research in a lot of different ways: websites, your class notes, talking with people (parents, classmates, your teachers). Find arguments which support both sides of (for and against) your thesis and examples that support your claims and counterclaims. As you develop insights you can use, make sure to record them. ]
4. Make sure you have clarified the scope of your essay (what you're aiming to do). Make it clear, in your introduction, which WOK's and AOK's ’s you’re using. And define your key terms carefully, in ways that are useful to your argument. Dictionary definitions rarely do this. At the minimum, be sure to not just use the first definition you find.
5. It’s easy to forget that ToK is about developing your ability to think for yourself. Give yourself some time away from your outline, to reflect before you begin your real essay. And then try to give yourself a few breaks from your essay as well, so you can come back to it with fresh eyes. It’s hard to see the weaknesses of your thinking while you’re busy trying to get it done (i.e. in a hurry). Come up with your own ideas.
6. Read at least 3 examples of excellent ToK Essays written by other people.
7. Keep editing. Each of your paragraphs should show opposing viewpoints concisely. Compare two opposing ideas about how natural science might relate to your knowledge question.
8. Use specific and qualified language. Rather than writing that “all science always provides useful insights,” instead say that, “chemistryoften provides useful insights.” Words like often or sometimes (instead of always), might or could (instead of should) help to keep from over-generalising or saying more than you can actually support in your essay.
9. To prove your essay's thesis you’ll need to rely on evidence. Various types of facts are fine (quotations, statistics, true stories from your reading or your own life). Avoid using clichés and common examples. If you can use examples that the marker hasn’t heard before this will show that you are thinking for yourself.
10. Read it out loud, after you have finished it. This will help you to find mistakes and areas that don’t flow as well as you thought.
Other Useful ToK Essay Resources
Six steps to writing a good TOK essay: A student guide by Colleen H. Parker at SPHS
Writing a TOK essay, by Richard van de Lagemaat
How to Write a Good TOK Essay, By Peg Robinson
This in link TheoryofKnowledgeStudent.com goes through a variety of examples of how to answer some of the questions from previous years.
Mr Hoyes’ Notes on The ToK Essay
How to Write a Good ToK Paper, from Collective Thinking
Writing a TOK Essay, from ‘Findings’ Part One, Two, Three, Four, and Five.
10 Tips on Writing a Good Theory of Knowledge Essay, from the American International School of Lusaka
Guide to writing the TOK Essay, from IBCram
Tips for writing a good ToK Essay by Ric Sims @ Nothing Nerdy
And consider some common problems, from ToK Talk
IB Theory of Knowledge Essay is one of the most demanding essays that an IB student has to write. The titles of the essay raise knowledge questions, so students do not only need to present claims and counter-claims regarding the raised issue, but also link knowledge issues to areas of knowledge and ways of knowing. If this is not hard enough, the essay must also show student’s creative thinking and comply with the Assessment Criteria. Don’t forget about the word limit, which cannot exceed 1,600 words, otherwise it will be penalized. So if you are looking ToK essay help, try to read an example of tok paper that can be found on this page. Also, the information here can be used as a basic ToK essay guide. So continue reading and see what our tok essay writing service has for you. If you are asking your self "who can write my tok essay for me ?" buy tok paper here by hiring our tok writers and get a good grade.
A Competitive Theory of Knowledge Essay (ToK) Development
Writing a Theory of Knowledge essay can be compared to an activity like swimming; it is either you know the art, or you don't. In Swimming, learning breath holding and floating is so challenging to beginners. To the experts, you do not even notice that you are floating or holding your breath. It’s just automatic!!! The same case applies to Theory of Knowledge Essay Writing. Getting the concept requires attention! Applying the concept requires attention too. Have you ever been to a public swimming pool and observed ‘big' people who don't know how to swim, but find at the same place children who are experts? The best definition of Irony, isn’t it?
Format Of An Excellent ToK Essay
An excellent ToK essay begins by presenting the topic. Definition of keywords or concepts ensues. Most commonly used keywords in the theory of knowledge course possess some extent of ambiguity while others look ambiguous but have alternative meanings. A clear understanding of the meanings of these major words in Theory of Knowledge course is vital in the development of a good ToK essay. Each way of Knowing or Area of Knowledge is a section in the structure of your essay composed of paragraphs. Competing approaches should be organized in an alternating pattern; a paragraph of one claim should be followed by a paragraph of an opposing counter-claim. The ‘Claim' paragraph should state the claim, explain it and give an example. The ‘Counter-Claim' paragraph should state the counter-claim, give an example, and relate the counter-claim to the knowledge question. This is a perfect way of communicating the conflict in your ToK essay. The length of a standard ToK essay is 1,600 words. Hence, you should be precise in summarizing your ideas. Give a conclusion and close the essay by reflecting on the entire essay.
Steps Towards An Excellent Theory of Knowledge Essay
1. Select a title
Sometimes you might be required to choose a title from a list. Your selection will determine the quality of your final Theory of Knowledge essay! The following points are the Do's and Don’ts in Selection of a good Theory of Knowledge Essay title:
- Do not select a title just because it sounds interesting.
- Be sure to read through all the topics provided to choose the best.
- A good ToK title is the one that lets you display your critical skills, and prove in your essay that you understand the Theory of Knowledge matters.
- Have it in mind that in your ToK essay, you will be required to respond to the tile you selected only. Hence, choose a title that will help you utilize all you know about the Theory of Knowledge.
2.Formulate a title
When you are required to formulate a title for your ToK essay, you should first come up with a title like “What is it about teaching that makes it a fulfilling profession?” Such a title will help you come up with a knowledge question such as “To what extent is teaching a more fulfilling than other careers?” Your knowledge question should allow a variety of viewpoints so that you are not so limited when developing your ToK essay. Hence, it is important that you to formulate an open question. It is, therefore, advisable that you begin the Knowledge question with words like “How efficient is…” or “How fulfilling is…” or “To what extent…” The most important of all is that your question should be about Knowledge. Remember the essay you are structuring is not just like any other, it is a Theory of Knowledge Essay. Theory of knowledge cuts through several disciplines. Hence, carefully choose at least three aspects of knowledge you will relate to the essay. Make sure you have appealing claims to make and explore in the areas of knowledge (e.g. Mathematics, History) or ways of knowing (e.g. Sense, perception, emotion, reason) you have chosen.
3. Go through the grading/assessment criteria
Your school should provide the grading criteria. Understanding these criteria will help you appropriately set your goals for your ToK essay. Most students have a negative perception towards grading criteria. They view them as an extra test besides the Theory of Knowledge essay. Only a few smart ones appreciate the benefits of going through these assessment criteria. Grading criteria help the student understand what is expected or desired of his or her ToK essay.
After understanding or not understanding the grading criteria, take your time to plan your ToK essay. This should be done at least a week before the due date. During this time, discuss your ToK essay topic, the knowledge question, the grading criteria, and the outline of your essay with fellow students.
5. Structure your ToK essay
You have all the tools at hand by now! The Title, the Knowledge Question, Requirements of the Grading Criteria, the Ways of Knowing or Areas of Knowledge, Ideas, and the Format of a Theory of Knowledge Essay. Write a skeleton of your expected ToK essay. Be sure to follow the correct format.
6. Boldly write your ToK essay!
This should be the simplest step in ToK essay development. Having planned well in the preceding steps, what is remaining is just a Write Up! Be cautious not to omit the following:
- The Correct format of ToK essays.
- The guidelines obtained from the Assessment Criteria
- Use of Example from a wide variety of sources.
- A good conclusion; Tell us why it is necessary we know this, give a possible different perspective or view, and finally, the Parting Shot!
ToK Essay Example - Theory of Knowledge Essay
Two areas of knowledge - mathematics and art incorporate ways of knowing and knowledge questions, claims and counter claims, relevant real life situations and personal examples perspective
- Academic Level: Master (IB)
- Type of paper: Tok Essay
- Discipline: Tok Essay
- Citation Style: Harvard
- Sources: 1
- Deadline 8 Hours
- Price for similar paper: $293.94
Writer's Short BIO
- Professional Academic writer more than 5 years
- Best in International relations, Ethics, Art, Science
- Areas: Technical, Creative and Academic
- MBA Diploma
More Samples Samples Collection
Buy A Tok Essay Now
Buying essays should not cause a headache. Every day we receive many requests for this type of an essay, delivering 5 daily. We have a group of professional essay writers that take care of ToK essays. Stay free of headache when hiring an essay writer, since you will know that your order won’t fall into the hands of writers who have no experience. Our writers can write a paper for you in 8, 12, 16, 24 and 48 hours. Buy tok essay now and save your time.
- 15% Discount Code PAPER15
- 100% Plagiarism FREE
- Order Now