The Importance of Body Language in Personal Communication Essay
958 Words4 Pages
The Importance of Body Language in Personal Communication
Personal communication is aided by many factors other than simply speech. The main contribution to speech in personal communication is body language, most of which is unconscious.
Body language is one of three aspects of Non Verbal Communication. The other two are Paralanguage and Appearance.
Body language, as a whole is made up of every movement that our body makes that conveys communication to others. According to Michael Argyle Body language is made up of eight codes, these are:
« Head Nods
« Facial Expression
« Eye Contact
The first,…show more content…
Also body language conveys extra meaning and information when communicating. For example; if someone asked where a shop is and didn't know their left from right, the person giving the directions could use gestures (a form of body language) to help show the person.
"The shop is over to the right" [Points to the right] .
Body language can give away an enormous amount of information about a situation a person may be in. Just from the way you stand or more obviously your facial expression people can tell how you are feeling and what you may be thinking. It is important therefore that someone communicating knows this and knows who can see them, as it's possible to tell this from a distance. So, obviously everyone that can see you can view your body language.
Body language can be interpreted differently by different people. Hence It is substantial to make sure people know what you are trying to say and they understand completely. But this is not always possible. An example of misinterpretation would be; When someone says "Yeah, I love maths" in a bored expression (no tone) with a slumped posture. Most people would understand this as being sarcastic but some may really think that the person loves maths. It is all to do with how the receivers interpret what has been said. Often as in this case by the paralanguage but this is aided heavily by the body
Body Language Communication Essay
Understanding nonverbal communication and body language is a very important part of the work environment. Effective communication is essential in today's workplace. Functions, forms and cultural differences will help make communication more effective. "Studies show that you words account for only 7% of the messages you convey. The remaining 93% is nonverbal. 55% of communication is based on what people see and the other 38% is transmitted through tone of voice." Ramsey (2005). This paper will help you understand body language at work and how people must be aware of the messages they send through body language. I will describe the functions and the forms of body language, such as eye contact, posture and appearance. Cultural differences and misconceptions will also be addressed, which may lead to misinterpreted meanings.
Functions of nonverbal communications
Body language is overlooked in today's world. The messages that can be sent by body language are overlooked. Body language, if noticed, leaves a lasting impression and you only get one chance to make a first impression. As noted before, 55% of communication is based on what people see. Hand gestures tell a lot about the message you are trying to get across. According to Helenius (2000), "In the United States, for example, the "OK" hand gesture conveys enthusiasm or approval of a business associate's suggestion. But flash that sign in France, where it's synonymous with "zero" or "worthless," and your business counterpart might be tempted to close up shop and go home. The same goes in Brazil, where the "OK" sign has prurient significance and is considered vulgar." People are unaware of the messages they are sending to reinforce and accentuate the message they are sending through body language. Waving goodbye as you leave or pass someone is considered body language. Your facial expressions tell someone if you are happy or sad. Good customer service and employee interaction rely on nonverbal cues. In the workplace telling someone "I'll be right with you" and giving them a smile gives them the assurance that you want to help them. Hartley (2006) suggests, that "we often do not give careful consideration to what we convey through the way we speak and how we move." In my job as an office manager communication is very important. The more one is aware of body language and its functions the better advantage one will have in today's workplace. Understanding body language will help you understand effective communication at work.
"Eye contact is the most obvious way you communicate. When you are looking at the other person, you show interest. When you fail to make eye contact, you give the impression that the other person is of no importance" says Ramsey (2005). I have noticed when people are lying...
Loading: Checking Spelling0%